Friday, January 8, 2010

Christmas & New Year's... long post! :)

Well, it has been quite some time since I have blogged last.... Since my last post, it has become 2010!!!

Christopher & I had a WONDERFUL Christmas that we would not have traded for anything! We wanted so badly to be able to spend time with both of our families and not feel rushed. We were worried we would be since there is a 2 1/2 hour drive to Newnan from Milledgeville. But we weren't & everything went smoothly!

Every year on Christmas Eve Eve, my Papa Perkins has everyone over to his house for chili dinner & gift exchange. This year, Chris & I decided that since we were going to try to come to Newnan Christmas day, that making that trip just 36 hours beforehand would not be feasible. So, instead, we decided to start our own Christmas Eve Eve Chili tradition with his family. It was really the first time we had hosted his whole immediate family. I had made the chili a day in advance so that all of the spices would be thoroughly soaked in. Unfortunately, we had a tough time getting it warmed back up the next day. Chris had the bright idea of sticking the chili pot in our microwave. He stepped away for just a minute and when he came back the pot was on fire!!! He blew the fire out, but there was an awful smell of burnt plastic in our house for several days... Lesson learned: Do not put metal in a microwave! His family all arrived and loved the chili, afterall! Macie felt so comfortable in our home just playing & "talking" up a storm! Cindy & Smiley surprised everyone by letting them open one gift from them. Chris & I got to open up the camera we had asked for -- a Canon Rebel T1I. It is a professional camera that has the really big adjustable lens on the front & a pop-up flash! We love it!

On Christmas Eve, we went to our church for their Christmas Eve service. It was so great to listen to their band play Christmas songs & particpate in the same candlelight tradition that I am so used to growing up in my home church in Newnan. We left the church, definitely feeling the Christmas spirit! Although it was raining, Chris was determined to have steaks. So out he went in the rain, to grill our steaks! They were so yummy & we decided that steaks on Christmas Eve was going to become a new tradition! :)

We woke up Christmas morning around 7:30 a.m. & had Christmas with each other. I had filled Christopher's stocking (& mine a little bit, too) which is something neither of us had done before! He loved everything! I had only given him little odds & ends (candy, tooth brush, beef jerky, Men's Health magazine, etc.) but I made sure to wrap everything so that it would be fun to open each little surprise! We then opened our gifts to each other. Chris had been asking for an iPod hook-up for his truck through the radio, since he does so much driving during the day. So, I went to Best Buy & got him the cords & everything he would need to hook it up, a mount to hold his iPod, & a gift card to cover the installation. He loved it! Chris got me a PSP to play for when he's occupied playing his PS3 (including a case, the Ratchet & Clank game, & all the cords & chargers), Mr. Pewterschmidt, a stuffed animal dog with a hat & scarf (proceeds went to St. Jude's hospital, which he knew I would love!!), and the most beautiful diamond-heart necklace from Kay Jewlers! :) We then, fixed "Christmas breakfast" which was going to consist of eggs & bacon, however, we burnt the bacon, so we just had eggs! :)

From there, we went to his parent's house. We opened our stocking & found lots of goodies in there! We don't receive candy in our stockings at their house, we receive tylenol, cold medicine, & vitamins! This is what we ask for, as those can get expensive!! Shortly after that, Kacie, Wesley, & Macie came over. We all opened our gifts to each other. One of the best gifts we received from Cindy & Smiley (besides our camera) was our new white Down Comforter! It is absolutely angelic feeling! However, the best gift of all came from Kacie & Wesley, as they handed Cindy & Smiley a gift bag....with a sonogram inside! They're expecting a new baby August 05, 2010! :) They don't plan to find out what it is!

We left there about 11:00 & went to Chris's grandparent's house just down the road. They always do such a big Christmas for everyone! At our stockings over here, we do receive candy -- and lots of it! Which is fine by me & my empty candy drawer @ home! Chris & I always do a shopping trip with MaMa every year between Thanksgiving & Christmas where we pick out about $150 worth of gifts that his grandmother buys for us for Christmas. However, each year, she always surprises us with a bit more! :) This year, I got the prettiest white sheets with a floral design (to match our new Down Comforter from Cindy & Smiley), the most beautfiul & warm cream-colored coat, & lots & lots of clothes! :) Chris got a sweeper vaccuum, an electric knife, some air-tight food storage bins, and some clothes! It was such a surprise when Kacie & Wesley gave MaMa & Pop the sonogram surprise, too! Their faces were priceless!! We then ate the most delicious Christmas lunch & packed up & headed on our way to Newnan about 1:30 p.m. -- Perfect!

We made the 2 1/2 hour drive to Newnan to be greeted by lots of smiling faces from my family! Shortly after we arrived, so did Meme & Preacher Pa! Everyone sat down to a home-cooked meal contributed by most members of the family. Mama had everything so beautifully decorated, it was like walking into Martha Stewart's home! :) Everyone then moved into the living room for presents! This year, my family decided to draw names & only buy for that person (unless you felt compelled to buy for someone else). We put a $100 limit on each person.

Christopher & I, coincidentally, both drew Sara & Jason's names. We had the best time deciding what to get each of them! Sara had asked for just gift cards for her Christmas, & I made note of that. But, I also thought how disappointing those were going to be to wrap & give... so I creatively figured out how to wrap each one so that the presentation & moment of opening them would be so much fun! I first, bought a gift card to Charming Charlie & "wrapped" it in a leopard print luggage tag with a hot pink "D" on the front. I also bought her a gift card to the GAP. I then, put both of these gift cards into a HUGE bag that looked like a snowman, that was filled with lots of "stuffing." This made it especially fun to open, since she had to search for her gift cards! I had also bought her a gift card to Starbucks, and slipped it inside of a pink & green monogrammed travel coffee mug! & last but not least, I bought her an under-the-cabinet cd/radio player that she had asked for! Chris bought Jason an $80 gift card to Dick's Sporting Goods & bought him a CD case & filled it to capacity with DVD's of T.V. series & movies Jason can watch while on the road! :) I really think they both loved all of their gifts!

My dad had drawn Chris's name, and got him the most thoughtful gift! Since Chris's favorite hobby is to burn DVD's, Dad got him a label maker so that he no longer has to just write the titles on with a Sharpie marker. Instead, they now look like real DVD's! He also got him a PS3 game that Chris has been wanting, Assassins Creed 2. Chris loved his gifts! Meme had my name, and had so thoughtfully surprised me with the digital scrapbooking software I've been wanting from Creative Memories. She had to do a lot of special planning to get this gift for me, since it had to be ordered through Chris's aunt, Laura. They both did such a good job of not spoiling it for me! :) Since I've gotten it home, I have already completed one project (our wedding scrapbook), and started on several others! :) This gift was right up my alley & I love it!!

We went home to Milledgeville a few days later, and before we knew it, it was New Year's Eve! We spent the evening at Kacie & Wesley, as we do each year, and ate Old Clinton BBQ. Neither, Kacie nor Macie were feeling well, so we left there kind of early & just came back to the house to ring in the new decade with Ryan Seacrest & the New Year's Rockin' Eve special on T.V. Chris fell asleep before midnight, but I did not! I woke him up just in time to help me bring in 2010 with a special New Year's kiss!

Speaking of 2010, I know it holds big things for me & for us as a married couple! I have several New Year's Resolutions. 1.) To go to church more often/regularly -- Northridge Christian Church. Christopher & I searched for a church home that we both felt comfortable attending, and really do enjoy it when we go. However, between trips to Newnan & laziness on the weekends, we just don't get around to it. This will change this year!!! 2.) Clean my house more often! I just feel that there are too many times that I sit here and try to "move the mess" with my eyes! Ha! 3.) Start flossing every day! This is such a hard thing to remember to do everyday & is so tedious especially when you have a mouth as small as mine, but this too, shall be done! 4.) Become healthier. I do go to the gym...not as often as I should, but I need to go more often. Although, I do not need to lose weight, I simply need to be more active. I also need to eat healthier (as I sit here & dream of milk & cookies.... ahh!). Besides, if Chris & I want to have a baby -- I need to be in tip-top shape! 5.) Learn to do something new creatively. Perhaps sewing? Knitting? Who knows! 6.) Blog more often! I want to start documenting what our lives consist of at least on a weekly basis, even if we didn't do anything interesting.

"But, Rebecca, did we hear you say "baby"????"

Why, yes you did! Christopher & I have decided we want to have babies! It is something we have always wanted, but were waiting for both of us to feel mature enough to raise a child. If I am able to get a job for this next school year, Chris & I will be trying next year! Yay! :) In the mean time, I am researching top baby products, nursery collections, crib bedding, & baby names!

"Wait! Did we hear you say "get a job for this next school year????"

In fact, you did!! I will be graduating this coming up May 2010. (May 07, 2010 to be exact!!!) I have already started trying to network & make impressions that show I am eager to work & will be a good asset to any school team! :) After all, that is the last piece of advice I've received from my Papa Perkins. He said to me "You tell those Principals, I know that you like to have good teachers working at your school, and I'm here to tell you... I'm a GREAT teacher & would be an asset to your school!" I love him!

Unfortunately, Papa Perkins has not been doing well. On Wednesday, December 30, 2009, he had a massive heart attack that put him in ICU at Piedmont Hospital in Atlanta. He had to be put into a medically-induced coma so that they could try to build his heart back up to recovery. The news on his health updates change day-to-day, hour-to-hour, and right now things just aren't looking good. But, like my daddy says "He's got people on both sides of Heaven that love him!" & he's right. I know of at least one angel that's been missing him for a while... My Memaw! :)

Today, I plan to clean my house until it's spotless, pack my bags, and wait on Chris to get home. We're going to Newnan this weekend because the end to Papa's battle is going to end today.

That's it for us this week! We hope to update you next week on what all the special things this week held for us!

What are your New Year's Resolutions?

No comments:

Post a Comment