Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Angel on your shoulder and God in your heart!

I absolutely love my nighttime routine with Lucy! We take a bath right now every other night, but I would love to start atleast soaking in the tub (without soap) at least every night. I primarily bathe her, while Chris throws her towel and pajamas in the dryer to be nice and toasty for her when she's finished being bathed. After we're done, he scoops her up in her towel and takes her in and lays her on the bed in her room. We dry her off and sometimes run a hairdryer over her to keep her warm. I lotion her up with Johnson & Johnson's Lavender Baby Lotion & put her diaper & pj's on her. Then I brush her hair & rock her. Chris is usually back in the den by this point eating a late-night snack & catching up on the Braves. I love it though, because this is something special between just me and my best girl!
We start off by saying our prayers. We pray for each person in our families by name. We thank God for food, our home, Delilah, and pray for a good night's sleep and a great day tomorrow. We also pray for the special little boy God has picked out for Lucy & that his Mommy & Daddy are raising him to be the kind of man who will take special care of our girl. Then, I nurse her if she's hungry, and we sing our nightly lullabies. We sing the same ones every night, and I want to remember them so figured I would blog about them. Each one has a special meaning to me.
I start off singing "my" song. Mama made up a song for each one of my sisters' and I when we were babies. I love that Lucy has the same middle name as I do so it fits in perfectly with the lyrics. I also love that now I can consider that "her" song.
I love you,
Yes, I do
I love you, Lucy Pearl
You're my sweet baby treat
I love you, Lucy Pearl!
Sweet baby faces, sweet baby sounds
You're the sweetest baby around!
I love you.
Daddy does, too.
We love our Lucy Pearl!
I follow that song with another song I remember Mama singing when I was a child (I think this may have been considered Christy's song?)
I love you, Lucy Pearl
I love you, Lucy Pearl
I love your hair,
and I love your toes,
and I love the way you wrinkle your nose.
I love your personality.
I love that you were born a "she."
I love the way you smile at me.
Oh, I love you.
Daddy does, too.
We love our Lucy Pearl!
When I was pregnant with Lucy, I was teaching my first year of Pre-K at Learning Safari. One of the best parts of Pre-K is nap time. ;) For nap time, I would pull out my iTouch and play a list of Disney lullabies I had downloaded for them to listen to while they napped. One of the ones that I particularly favored was "La La Lu" from The Lady & The Tramp. Every time it played, it made me think of the little baby that was in my belly & I knew I wanted to learn the lyrics to sing to them one day.
La La Lu
La La Lu
Oh my little star sweeper,
I'll sweep the start dust for you.
La La Lu
La La Lu
Little soft, fluffy sleeper
Here comes a pink cloud for you.
La La Lu
La La Lu
Little wandering angel,
Fold up your wings for tonight.
La La Lu
La La Lu
And may love be your keeper,
La La Lu
La La Lu
La La Lu
A classic lullaby that every Mama needs to sing to her baby is Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star.
Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star
How I wonder what you are?
Up above the world so high,
Like a diamond in the sky.
Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star
How I wonder what you are?
One of my favorite songs as a child that I sang all the time was You Are My Sunshine. This also became a special song between Chris & I when we were dating.
You are my sunshine,
My only sunshine.
You make me happy when skies are gray.
You'll never know, Dear,
How much I love you.
Please, don't take my sunshine away.
And then I always end with Jesus Loves Me -- I feel it's the one with the most important message, and should be the way she ends her day every day.
Jesus loves me
This I know,
For the Bible tells me so.
Little ones to Him belong.
They are weak,
But He is strong!
Yes, Jesus loves me!
Yes, Jesus loves me!
Yes, Jesus loves me,
For the Bible tells me so.
By this point, she's usually good and asleep so I pick her up and lay her in her bed. I kiss her sweetly & tell her the same thing my Mama told me as a child, "Angel on your shoulder and God in your heart!"

No comments:

Post a Comment